So, I am in the midst of planning. Fifth grade planning is done; I am still working on kindergarten and eighth grade planning. I finally decided on blocks for eighth grade to include:
- August: Geometry/Mensuration
- September: Physics (mainly electricity, hydraulics and aeronautics)
- October: American History
- November: Organic Chemistry
- December: Geography of Asia
- Christmas Break
- January: Oceanography/Metereology (although I am still debating about placing metereology into ninth grade and just focusing on oceanography)
- February: World History Themes
- March: Anatomy/Physiology
- April: Spring break and a short block on the Evolution of Human Freedom that will cover some of the wonderful biographers of peacemakers who changed the world
- May: Medical Geography (the block my eighth grader picked)
I had planned an almost five week block of Revolutions but decided at the last minute that Revolutions would be better suited for us to go with the polarities found in ninth grade – binary, comedy and tragedy, the hot and cold found in thermodynamics, etc.
There are a few things that will be done daily (math) and a few things that will be running a few times a week (High School Spanish I, High School Latin I, and then World Geography and some focus on governmental structures for our state and nation).
Most of my blocks for eighth grade are either done or 50 to 75 percent done, so it is good to see the ending line in sight. I wanted to be done planning everything by June, but it didn’t happen, so here we are.
How is planning coming for you? I would love to hear where you are.