January can be such a difficult month in parenting. The days can be dark and long. Much of the U.S. has been under sub-zero temperatures, and that can make days with small children rather long indeed. This can be the kind of month where mothers are feeling tired, cranky, even depressed or overwhelmed.
This is a good month to focus on the importance of warmth: warm thoughts, warm deeds, warm and gentle hands, quiet voices, warm clothing, warm foods.
This is a good month to make sure you, Mama, are at your peak physical and mental health. Get those Vitamin D and thyroid levels checked; get screened for depression if you think that may be a possibility; menu plan for nourishing food.
This is a good month to tweak your rhythm or change it entirely. What will your older child do whilst your younger one is trying to go to sleep? What will you do to get out physical energy if you are stuck in the house because it is literally that cold?
This is a good month to revisit singing and music to warm the atmosphere of the home. Some of you have emailed and asked about music resources. Here are a few of my favorites (if a book, also includes CD’s because I know some of you may not be able to read music!):
- Candey Verney’s The Singing Day ( http://www.amazon.com/Singing-Day-Festival-Candy-Verney/dp/1903458250/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296212662&sr=8-1) and The Singing Year (http://www.amazon.com/Singing-Year-Festivals-Hawthorn-Press/dp/1903458390/ref=pd_sim_b_1)
- Lorraine Wolf’s Come Follow Me Cd’s Volume One and Volume Two: http://www.amazon.com/Come-Follow-Me-Vol-1/dp/B0009298U2/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1296212763&sr=1-1 and here: http://www.amazon.com/Come-Follow-Lorraine-Nelson-Wolf/dp/B001F08D4E/ref=pd_bxgy_m_text_b
- Naturally You Can Sing! http://www.naturallyyoucansing.com/books/
- Home Music Making! http://www.homemusicmaking.blogspot.com/
- Seven Times The Sun: http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Times-Sun-Guiding-Through/dp/0967571308/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296212914&sr=8-1
This is a good month to do some story-telling. Try Suzanne Down’s Juniper Tree Puppetry website and sign up for her email newsletter: http://junipertreepuppets.com/blog/
For inspiration in story-telling, how about this book by Nancy Mellon called “Body Eloquence”? http://www.amazon.com/Body-Eloquence-Power-Awaken-Energies/dp/1604150289/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296213082&sr=8-1
This is a good month to do some some art with your children. Pink and Green Mama reads this blog and has 400 projects on her website here: http://pinkandgreenmama.blogspot.com
This is a good month to get ready for February festivals! How about getting ready for Candlemas (https://theparentingpassageway.com/2010/01/29/the-magic-of-candlemas/), Chinese New Year (https://theparentingpassageway.com/2010/02/09/chinese-new-year-in-the-waldorf-home/) or Valentine’s Day?