August is one of my favorites! It’s hot and sultry, it’s my birthday month, and there are lakes and pools and flowers and fireflies. The harvest is coming in, and there are so many wonderful ways to celebrate that from picking blackberries to apples in our area starting to ripen to helping harvest hay!
Here are a few things we are celebrating this month:
This month we celebrate:
August 6th – The Transfiguration
August 9th – The Feast of St. Herman of Alaska – for this feast, we plan on reading this lovely book.
August 13th – Our first day back at school with 11th, 8th, and 3rd grade! Looking forward to a beautiful year!
August 15th – The Dormition of St. Mary – August 15th – on this day, we tell the story of the Dormition of St. Mary and read this little book.
August 31st – The Feast of St. Aidan — we plan to tell the story of St. Aidan and the horse he was given by King Oswim
Ideas for Celebration:
- Making beautiful triptych to celebrate the life of St. Mary. There are many wonderful ideas regarding this on the Internet.
- We have about another month of tubing, swimming and water park availability to us, so we hope to take advantage!
- Gazing at the stars
- Walking in the mornings
- Celebrating the back to school with little things to use during the school year
What We Are Working On At Home:
- Making some supplies for the upcoming fall/cold/flu season – mainly elderberry syrup
- Still working on a four week rotating menu for breakfast, lunch, and dinner to streamline things in the kitchen!
- Medical appointments – I try to schedule all of my medical appointments in August
- New habits! Getting ready for school and busier schedules and finding and sustaining a home-centered life in the midst!
- Changing out the nature table
Our homeschooling life is starting on August 13th. So close!
Our 11th grader has a number of outside classes this year, including Pre-Calculus and Advanced Placement Psychology. I will be teaching Chemistry , Health,and World Literature. We are going to have a ball! Our eighth grader will be starting with a physics and meteorology block and our third grader is starting with a harvest/farming kind of block.
Share with me what you are up to in the beautiful month of August!
Blessings and love,