Almost every month I write a post on this topic, but it is so important it bears repeating every month! How are you and your spouse doing? Are you strong and unified and having fun or are things tense and battle-like?
Here are some questions/ ideas for this month:
- What is the one little nice thing you do for your spouse each and every day in front of your children?
- When is the time you and your spouse get to sit down and have a conversation?
- How often are you intimate?
- How often do you compliment your spouse? I have read studies (who does these?) that men need an average of ten compliments a day. Do you even come close to that?
- How often do you laugh together?
- How is the work around the house shared by both of you?
- How often are you plain in asking your husband what you need? My husband often says to me, ” Honey, just tell me what you need and I will help you! Even after almost 18 years of marriage, I can’t read your mind!” Yep, men are not generally mind-readers!
- What do you and your spouse love to do together?
- What does your family do spiritually together? Does your husband say a blessing over your meal? Is there some special way your children see both of you honor spirituality in your home?
I do not think it is necessary to leave your baby or a toddler who has separation anxiety at home whilst you go out to “have time together.” Your children grow up so quickly, it really is a short time. Have a date at home after you put the children to bed! If your children are older and you have trusted family, how about a morning or afternoon date – many times that is much more successful than going out in the evening until the children are older…
I think the other important thing to consider in the midst of this topic of renewal with your spouse is renewal with yourself! If you are feeling close to burned out, this is important to consider.
Just a few thoughts tonight.